14 January 2012

happily announcing new fabric for sale :)

Hello, my name is Lynn.

And I am a fabric addict.

I buy it. I make it. I gasp over it. I pet it. Its my tool as an artist and I can't get enough of it. (I'm sure you understand.)

Its been in the back of my mind for a long time that I'd also like to sell it.

You see, its not all about making money. I consider fabric sacred, a complete form of expression all on its own. To be able to share that makes me feel like I'm putting a special kind of connection out into the world.

I thought long and hard about what my fabric would look like. Earthy, rich color (with a dash of the 70s color palette) - graphic strong imagery and designs. These were the things that I wanted to reflect most.

And so I got to work.

My etsy shop has been churning out thermofax screens for over a year and the addition of some thermofax screen printed fabric is a welcome addition. So in the shop you'll find what I'm calling the Stone Sketches collection.



Clockwise: skipping stones, stone garden, stone totem and stone riverbed


These are all designs that I drew by hand. I love the look of simple hand drawn imagery and it felt like a good solid marriage to hand printing them.

I printed them on Kaufmann kona cotton solid fabrics. I toyed with the idea of dyeing my own fabric but that would cause two issues: (1) printing new pieces for the shop would require more time then I would most likely be able to find in my schedule to keep the new pieces coming on any kind of a regular rhythm and (2) the cost would be significantly higher then what I've got them priced at.

I sell the patterns in two different colorways and in fat quarters ($10) and fat eighths ($5). Each one is one of a kind and what you see in the listing is the piece that you get.



I organized the shop in a cleaner way this year and the hand printed fabric has a section all to itself. I do hope you'll wander on by and take a gander. :)

But my wheels didn't stop turning there. I was unhappy with the fact that printing yardage, and even half yards for that matter, would be really difficult to do. It wasn't something that I thought I could do often and the price that I would need to sell them at to make it worth the work sort of scared me a little bit.

And then it hit me: Spoonflower.

If you're not familiar with Spoonflower, its a print-on-demand fabric service. You visit a designer's shop there, purchase their design in any length of fabric (and several types of fabric) that you'd like and they whip it up for you.

Here's a little video of how they do their magic:



(Please notice how they print the fabric. Its printed on one side only, the reverse side stays white. And they print it so that it has a white border around the whole thing. Not a big deal but its there.)

It was pretty much a no brainer for me to decide to open a shop there.



Not only can I offer unlimited yardage of the Stone Sketches collection (in additional colorways from the etsy shop) but I can also offer versions of my art cloth as well. Art cloth is something I've been asked to sell many times but have either had plans for the pieces or couldn't sell them for any kind of reasonable amount.

Now I can. :)

If you read Quilting Arts, you'll recognize the blue and yellow/green/orange piece from my last article with them about how to print your own art cloth.

I also added a piece that I did with gelatin plate monoprinting and a thermofax screen printed piece featuring my beloved birds on a wire theme.

I couldn't be happier with the job that they do with the printing of them. And of course I just had to order samples before I could be sure - oh the torture! ;-) :




 I hope you'll stop by and take a look - its my sincere hope that there is something there that will inspire you as much as I was creating these!

Happy creating! :)


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love them all, great job! Trying to pick a favorite and I narrowed it to two: Monoprint and birds on a wire.

Jean Baardsen said...

All brilliant ideas! You're really sparking with creativity!

Jeannie said...

I am glad Deb could narrow down her favorites to two - I am still stuck at 5. Then I look at the new thermofax collection, and I'd better win the lottery this weekend so I can buy one of everything! Have a fun filled weekend.

Kathy said...

One more step on the road to fame! Love the collection and the new screens--you are very impressive for so early in the year. I can't wait to see where this year will take you. Great work...

Lynda said...

Oh, Lynn this is wonderful! Love all of your prints. I just tweeted your new shop. Congrats.

Gisela Towner said...

These are wonderful Lynn!
Love love love the artcloth on Spoonflower! You are just spilling over with awesomeness...truly amazing. :D

Sea Air Arts - Deb H said...

Yummy!

Diane in NH said...

Have you ever seen the work of Ray Eames? Some of your fabric designs remind me of hers. She and her husband Charles were amazing and creative people!
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/eames/bio.html