20 January 2012

pinterest anyone?



Okay, can I brutally honest? The first time I heard about Pinterest I thought, "Oh no, not another social networking site I have to keep track of...."

Because let's be honest, you could make a full time job of just maintaining your online presence.

But I kept hearing about it and got curious and went to look. Its not what I thought it was. Its basically a way to bookmark everything that you like. Again, I thought "Big deal."

Until one night I was surfing the internet looking at artist's sites and bookmarking the pieces I loved and then trying to organize them the regular way - which let's be honest is pretty much the equivalent of shoving things to the back of the junk drawer, you never really go look again.

Then I remembered that I could visually bookmark them on Pinterest and I requested an invite. I've been loving it ever since.

I will say that it can be a major time suck if you let it. I tend to give myself no more then ten or fifteen minutes at a time so an entire evening doesn't slip by.

Here is one of the boards I set up:




I call it "surface design inspiration." See what I mean about it being a far more useful bookmarking method? When you click on a picture on the board (when you are logged into pinterest), it takes you to the original source so you can go back as often as you like.

I'm rather smitten with it because of this.

I don't have nearly as many boards as some people on there but its good fun, digging through everything, sort of like a treasure hunt.

I just wanted to talk a little bit about it because I was so skeptical and now find that its really very useful. If you're inclined, you can find my boards here.

Pin away! :)


4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Pinterest is awesome! It beats Facebook all day long.

Who you callin' housewife? said...

Hi Lynn, I just started on Pinterest this week. Your site, collection of boards, whatever I'm supposed to call it, is one of the best places to visit on Pinterest. So colorful. So organized. I'm really looking forward to more visits there and no doubt I'll be repinning a lot of things.

Have fun!!!

Mary@BarnBugStudio said...

I felt the same way! Signed up and then didn't really do anything with it. Now I love it and have to limit myself. I like to pin items from Etsy and the blogs that I follow. Love that it links back to the original source. Good exposure for anyone in the art biz! Had trouble thinking of boards at first and now I could keep going all day long...like I said, must limit myself!

Vivian Helena said...

If I understand this, you pin what you like and want to remember. Is this a good way to keep track of bookmarked blogs? It is also open to any one to see, not personal to just the person pinning. Am I correct?
Love seeing your page..