01 January 2012

make it a good one




Alyson Stanfield sent out an email this morning with 12 Artist Resolutions to Steal.

One of them really stood out to me: STOP whining about not having enough time.

Oh boy, sometimes I feel like that is my mantra. In fact, it was the very thought running through my head yesterday as I worked in my studio all day and was trying to figure out how to cross off the last of the items on my to-do-over-vacation list.

The new year is all bright and shiny and straight away I was heading back to that negative thought cycle of "I'll never get this all done" and feeling tense.

I don't make resolutions but I think this is something that I'm going to make it a priority to work on this year. Because the truth of the matter is that things get done if I stress about them or not. And if something doesn't get done, its not the end of the world.

What I'd like to learn is being present enough in what I'm working on to enjoy it rather then speeding through it to get to the next thing. I don't know how well this will work out, I've got a lot planned for this year but I can try. And I think that's good enough for now.

Judging by the state of my print table (shown above) its been pretty productive around the studio. Today will see more of the same and that's a good start.



3 comments:

Deb H said...

If you think you don't have enough time, you won''t...
I'm going to make a 'wish list' for 2012 and see how far through it I get.

Rebekah said...

Happy New Year Lynn! Can't wait to read and hear about all your art adventures!

Vivian Helena said...

I agree with you,, I keep rushing through from one project to the next and should just slow down and enjoy the process! Happy New Year.