10 January 2012
destruct-o box experiment update
If you missed the original post, here's the gist of what I'm doing.
I'm taking this perfectly fine and innocent assemblage:
And leaving it outside in the elements to see what will happen to it.
I thought about posting weekly updates but the truth is that its not changing radically enough to make that interesting. (It would kind of be like, "Hey look! Let's-watch-paint-dry!" kind of post and no one wants to read that.)
So here's where its at now:
Not a huge change. The only visible wear so far is that the two glass knobs that were on the top fell off (that happened when it fell off the fence and whacked onto the hard patio blocks) and the buttons are starting to loose their hold in the bottom left corner.
I did end up tying it to the chicken wire that runs along the fence to keep it upright. (And for the record, no, I do not have chickens. What I do have is a little dog that is full of curiosity and a small wooded area behind my house that is home to many different creatures. Its to keep the white fuzzy dog safe because he thinks everything wants to be his friend.)
It had fallen off the ledge after a couple of days and I took a full day to decide if I wanted it to stay that way or if I wanted to interfere. In the end, I chose to butt in. My thought was that it would just fill with snow (if we ever get any this year) and I wanted to see how the sun has an effect on it as well as the general weather. So up it went on the fence again where the sun hits it like a spotlight for several hours a day.
Our weather has been incredibly mild for this time of year. (I'm not complaining.) I expect the decay of it will speed up if winter ever decides to take hold here.
I'll post another update in a couple more weeks.