30 January 2012

seeking the source


Ask any artist why they make what they do and in one way or another they will say, "Because I have to."

Ask any artist where they get their inspiration from and they will reply, "From somewhere deep inside."

I've always thought that artists have an extra switch inside them, one that allows them to be more in tune with a special energy - creative energy.

Lately I've been thinking on that energy. How can I become closer friends with it? How can I honor it?

I don't want to control it. That would be like stepping on it and stamping it out. But I am finding that I want to be more in tune with it. When I walk into my studio lately, I just want to be still. To put my hand on fabric and let myself linger without agenda.

That's what I want more of. To be connected with. That calm stillness that defines creative energy, the deep mystery that welcomes me without judgement or compromise.



2 comments:

Deb Prewitt said...

Love that last paragraph. I want that too.

Jeannie said...

Lynn, you captured how I feel very well. There is that calm feeling when I am creating - the time stopping - kind of feeling. Now if I could figure out how to keep the switch to "on" more frequently, I'd be a happy camper. Hugs to you and Dooley.