09 October 2011

where i stand sunday


Its just a rug. Something to lay across the hardwood, a buffer between cold and my feet. What isn't immediately obvious is that its handmade.

In my country. In the USA.

My affection for all things made by the efforts of a human rather then a machine always tip the scales for me. Especially when they are just a couple states over, working in tradition, following in the footsteps of the people that came before them.







Where I Stand is an ongoing photo essay examining the different places I spend my life standing. Too often we take for granted the everyday places we spend our lives walking on. The ground we tread on has its own stories to tell.

2 comments:

Thea Belecz said...

Very nice, Lynn. I too have a couple of braided rugs made in the USA. It is my fervent hope that our country will start manufacturing all manner of items on our own shores again. Just trying to find a pair of boots made in the USA requires quite a search... and then at least part of the boot is made somewhere else.

Looking forward to your "Monday Inspiration" post.

Thea

Jeannie said...

I have a braided rug made by my Gram. It is over 60 years old, rusty oranges, browns, and burgandy. It warms my feet and my heart. Finding things made in the US is possible, but you really have to hunt and often times it is "assembled" here or elsewhere. How much energy do they use sending things all over to get affordable items? Wishing you a beautiful week, Lynn.