13 October 2011

the art of leann meixner


I thought maybe you'd like a little look at some new artwork that I just picked up.

You've heard me mention my friend Leann on the blog before. She's an outstanding artist. You can pretty much give her an scrap of fabric and a popsicle stick and she'll make you something really cool with it (like MacGyver but artsy and with blue hair).

She recently made a group of mini assemblages featuring her little stuffed and stitched friends for a show she and Joan did at The Liberty Street Brewing Company.

I got a chance to catch the show when it was up and it took me about a nanosecond to point out the two pieces up above and claim them as my own. The one on the right is living in my studio right now. Its a lovely rich red inside (my camera just wouldn't give up the color, sorry) and she's printed the word "strive" on it. Love that word.

The yellow one with stars is a birthday giftie for a friend and has the word "shine" on it.

Leann has assured me that she'll be posting her little boxes online in a few weeks and I'll be sure to let you know when she does. Her work is so special and I love all of it (was a miracle I only came home with two boxes to be honest).

2 comments:

Oma's Patch said...

Playful creations =)
The one on the Left looks like she is flying through the stars. Makes me think of the saying 'Aim for the moon, even if you miss you will land in the stars'
I got Rob one of her voodoo dolls a couple years ago, looks like a cousin to the one on the right. We let him hang out with the zombie toys, he keeps them at bay from the other plushies in the house.
Great choices Lynn =)

Took said...

I like your boxes...I know exactly how you feel -- when I went to that show (at least) 3 of them called to me -- and it was really difficult not to listen to any more of them.

I got "Now", "Finish", and "Think".

I took a friend by the show and she couldn't live without 4 of them!