15 October 2007

Blog Action Day - Support the Environment!


Today is Blog Action Day. The intent of this post is to be one of millions focusing on the environment. By so many blogs posting on the same topic today, we hope to bring the environment to the forefront of people's thoughts. I'm posting a picture I took while in Lewiston, Michigan this past weekend.

Admittedly I am a city girl at heart. Born and raised in Detroit, I went through a mild culture shock when we moved into the suburbs a few years ago. And its shameful to say but I don't go up to Northern Michigan very often. Actually that's an understatement, I haven't been up north since I was a kid. (And we won't discuss how long ago that was so don't ask...)

Nine of us decided to go out on Saturday night after classes were over to a very popular local restaurant. Being the brilliant people we are, we didn't think to call ahead and make reservations so we had a little while to wait and went outside to kill time. This lake was such a surprise (to me at least ) when we walked around the back of the restaurant and found this. There were little steps going down to the water edge and a shallow strip of beach. I was completely in awe of the beauty.


And while admiring it, I was also struck by the irony that we (meaning humans) spend so much time destroying things like this. Things that were here long before we were and are basically just minding their own business. And things that with one glance, can wipe clean all the stress in your life and make you still for a few delicious moments.

I plan to spend more time stopping and looking at the nature around me. Its time we all spent more time living in our environment rather then just on top of it. Enjoy the photo, enjoy the day, and keep on standing up for the beauty of our world. Peace.

No comments: