13 June 2009

the neverending blanket

Behold. Babette Blanket #1.

I may not have the fortitude for this.

Please notice how the middle roll looks lumpier then the other two. That's because its folded over so it will all fit on the coffee table. (A certain westhighland terrier who shall remain nameless would not stop walking across it and ruining the layout.)

The sudden clean space made me want to work on some of the UFOs I have laying about. The Babette Blankets have been nagging at me for a while now so I decided to suck it up and go after one of those. (It makes me want to sob that there are enough blocks left to make at least one more of the same size. And there will still be leftovers after that. I'm thinking of making some small ones from that for the Linus project.)

This project has taught me two very important things:

1) Pay attention to the gauge of the yarn, especially when substituting brands. (This should be a no brainer considering I spend my entire day doing math but I was off the clock when that disaster happened so I can't be held responsible.)

2) Weave in the ends as you work. As it stands right now, there are five million ends sitting beneath those squares that are mocking me. I hate every. single. one. of them. And I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

I had the delusional thought that I would get it all sewn together today and begin doing the borders tomorrow. (Yes, the damn thing has borders. I told you it wouldn't end.)

If the blog goes dark for more then a week, then you know the blanket got the best of me. Send reinforcements.

3 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Oy. I hate sewing square together. I've never figured out how to do it properly. Is there a way to crochet them together without a huge whopping seam?

And this, by the way, is exactly why I love the giant granny square afghan!

carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
carol said...

This afghan reminds me of the one my grandmother made me in 1967 before I went to nursing school. In fact is covering the back of the chair in my studio.

I really like your the various sizes of squares.