19 October 2010

fellow thermofax artist interview

I've been hunkered down behind my computer for the past day and a half working on my first newsletter.

I've been tweaking things and adding photos and links until I just can't see straight anymore. One of the features of the newsletter is to introduce everyone who subscribes to it to a fellow thermofax screen artist.

These artists use thermofax screen printing prominently in their work. And I have to say, they make some pretty awesome stuff.

The interview in its entirety will be posted here on the blog three days before the newsletter is sent out to subscribers. Now I have a blog, a website, a facebook page, a facebook fan page and pretty much every available social media page I can keep up with.

And if you're here reading this then you already pay attention. Why bother subscribing to my newsletter as well? Because it includes coupons for the shop and tips and tricks for printing with thermofax screens that won't be posted anywhere else.

Interested? Then sign up here (please excuse the vast amount of spacing, the form got touchy and wouldn't let me add it any other way):











Fibra Artysta's Thermofax Screen Printing Newsletter
* indicates required


















I'm excited to say that the very first interview is with the talented Virginia Spiegel. Enjoy the interview and don't forget to sign up for the newsletter!

**********************************************************************************

Q: How did you discover thermofax screens?

Virginia : The Director of the art center in my little town in Nebraska had a collection of Thermofax machines as her Dad had worked in a public school who had discarded all their machines. She gifted one to me - nirvana!


Q: How long have you been using them?

Virginia : About ten years now.


Q: Do you only print fabric with them or do you use them on other surfaces?

Virginia : I mainly print fabric, including velvet, but I also print paper of all kinds, including archival tissue paper and rice paper.


Q: What is your favorite thing about using thermofax screens?

Virginia : They can be extremely detailed.

Once by Virginia Spiegel


Q: What's the weirdest thing you've screenprinted?

Virginia : Birch bark - not an experiment I would repeat.


Q: Would you say that using thermofax screens has added anything special to your artwork or changed the way you work?

Virginia : I am always thinking when I take photographs about what might make a good screen. Because I use my own photographs, drawings, or writings to make screens, screen printing adds another layer of "me" to all my artwork. I depend on screen printing to make the fabric I paint as my raw material in my art quilts something that appeals to me, and I would hope my patrons, on my many levels.


Q: Do you have any tips that you'd like to share?

Virginia : Don't feel as though you need to print the entire screen or that every print has to be perfect. It's the serendipitous and imperfect prints that I especially like.


Then and Now by Virginia Spiegel


Please visit Virginia's blog here.

And check out Virginia's book, Wild at the Edges: Inspiration from a Creative Life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice interview and feature, Lynn! :D