21 September 2009

International Day of Peace

That would be today. While there are many grand things going on around the world, I found myself looking around the sliver of space that I occupy and wondering how much peace I have built into my life. At times it doesn't feel like much but when I take a step back and remove all the things that tend to make us feel like we've been turned inside out, I found many things that move me from the chaos of schedule and routine to the quiet zen that pushes everything back into perspective.

They are all small things. Simple things. Easy things. But they bring me happiness and a calmness that can only be described as peace. So today I'm going to list them:

1) The quietness of the house in the evening as I lay on the sofa with Dooley and my hand moves up and down with the rhythm of his breathing.

2) Watching the trees morph from season to season as I drive to work during the year. The juxtaposition of city and trees always makes me root for nature, hoping that it never looses its hold on the ground it has left.

3) Sitting at a table and laughing with friends. Knowing that a common ground exists between myself and someone else and that's enough.

4) Walking to the end of the driveway and turning my face toward the sky as the wind kicks up around me. Feeling the change of the season in the air and knowing that no matter what happens in this life, everything around me will continue with a steady heartbeat.

5) The mystery of art.

6) The awe born of loosing myself in a story, feeling it wrap itself around me and not release me until the last words have passed through my mind.

7) The ability to just be here. To enjoy the taste of fresh brewed coffee, to watch people move through life in ways I couldn't imagine, to know who I am.

I hope you have peace in your life, no matter how big or how small.

Happy International Day of Peace.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

I love the whole post, but I have to agree with a good cup of coffee as one of the best things to quiet all the noise of the morning routine.