06 July 2009

i suppose it was inevitable

Today is my first day back at work from a week long company shutdown. Its quite possibly the cruelest thing, really. Have nine days of in a row (that's counting weekends) and just when I'm starting to unwind and feel human again, shove me right back into the blessed eleven hour days that earn me my paycheck. (I'm still holding out hope that I will win the lotto. Of course, trying to win it with the power of mind rather then buying a ticket isn't going so well. I may have to reconsider my tactics on that one.)

I had a pretty nice break. I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to but I got a solid start on some of the more mundane tasks (anyone care to help me sew together twenty panels for an exhibit? No? That's okay, I understand completely...) so when work has sucked the life force out of me (as it tends to do), I can drag my zombie self into my studio and still accomplish things. In other words, we got the thinking parts out of the way like measuring and counting. Now its just mowing things over with the sewing machine. And we all know how much I love my sewing machine. *sigh*

Anyway, I feel the need to whine today. Not because I like to but because its getting a bit dodgy here. I knew things were going too smoothly, it was too much for my old pal Murphy to resist. Don't believe me? I offer you the following proof:

(1) The tooth that has had two fillings done in it (the originial one and then a replacement one) is about to drive me insane. I'm considering taking up my co-workers offer to pull the darn thing out with a pair of pliers.

It is the equivalent of having Satan in my mouth. I don't know what is going on in there but I obviously have some bad karma to work off and this blasted thing is doing a good job of making sure I get there. I go back for round three later this week. Although it is a fairly decent weight loss tool, it does not appreciate being disturbed in any way. Devil tooth, I tell you, devil tooth.

(2) My laptop got really sleepy yesterday. Like so much so that it refused to turn on. At all.

Its my habit on sunday mornings to make my coffee and then do my blog postings and a little writing. There was some severe screeching eminating from the kitchen when I couldn't get it to boot. Not so much because it happened (I mean really, its a machine, it cares not for my mental health) but because I hadn't backed things up in about a month. Yes, you may slap me now.

What could I stand to loose if it refused to be resurrected? Let's see...four weeks of Where I Stand essay, a new exhibit catalog I started, the latest draft of my writing, the current checksheets for this year's Breaking Traditions, the photos of my latest artwork that I haven't uploaded to my site yet...oh my, I just got dizzy thinking about it.

I called the Apple store. I suspected the battery since the little light on the power strip was blinking back and forth between red and green. I whisked it off and sure enough, the replacement battery needed a good slap upside the head. The guy at the genius bar was more then happy to do that for me. So all is well. And backed up. In two places.

Seriously, my nerves can't take that kind of stress anymore. Deep breaths, deep breaths...

(3) The traffic accident on the freeway this morning that happened before I started my commute was the gift that just kept on giving.

Its given me a big hunk of metal wedged into the tire on the passenger side in front as I promptly drove right over the big pile of debris it left behind. My car is making a pitiful thumbing bumping rattling sound that shouldn't be there. It must be corrected since I spend 2+ hours a day just driving to my lovely employment.

This meant turning around to go get mom's car. Which sounds simple enough. Except...

(4) Cops apparently get really really cranky when you drive 55mph in a 40mph zone. In my defense, it was the abrupt transition between freeway and residential and I was still in freeway mode (and a bit pissy, I admit it).

Nice enough cop. Not nice ticket.

I think that's about it for right now. The day isn't over yet, though. I shudder to think what else Murphy could have in store for me. If you see him, put in a good word for me, I could use it. I'm going to keep my head down and hope he doesn't try to call on me again.


Yarnhog said...

I think we all ought to be able to call in a "bad karma day" to work once in a while and go back to bed.

Eva said...

Why does evil accumulate? Couldn't we have a chance to work on it bit by bit? Well -- where's the complaints office? And it's full moon tonight. Good wishes that all this trouble will go away soon!

kathy n said...

Yikes. Days like that, it's just better to bury your head under a pillow...may Tuesday be more bearable.

mary said...

go to your happy fiber place
go there now....
you should have offered to make the cop a cop car cozy ~ wait that might have gotten you a bigger ticket...or a full body cavity search...hmmmm
hang in there
if its any comfort to you it was indeed a full moon yesterday
explains alot!