15 August 2011

i'm all about the mud


I was talking to a fellow fiber artist today and she was lamenting that all her dyeing experiments lately were producing nothing but mud colors. She's a happy-go-lucky-bright colors kind of gal while I'm a give-me-brown-so-I can-muddy-this-color-into-an-earth-tone kind of person. Needless to say, I was pretty tempted to not try to help her figure out what was going wrong since I'm pretty sure at some point I can get her to trade me for all that muddy fabric.

Later on when I was in my studio, I looked around and realized just how much I love that color palette.


Fabric that used to be on my print table as a base that will get turned into something else.


--- o --- o --- o ---




I even want mud from commercial fabric.


--- o --- o --- o ---


Scraps that are being worked into new Remnant Collages.


--- o --- o --- o ---

Remnant Collages in various states of completion.


--- o --- o --- o ---


One of my hand dyed fabric baskets.



I always frown when I read a book that deals with dyeing or painting and they are quick to alert artists to ways to avoid producing mud colors.

There's a lot of beauty in this color palette. Not all of it is sharp contrast or intense differences but there is a depth that draws me in every time, makes me fall in love no matter how many times I see it.

I took a week long dyeing class with Carol Soderlund (which I can't recommend enough) and came to appreciate a lot of colors I normally avoided like the plague. But my favorites didn't shift, I still remain married to a rainbow of mud.

Guess I'm just that kind of gal. :)

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

I am a mud puppy, too!!

Debra Dixon said...

It's so interesting the colors we love no matter what is currently popular or others love. It's almost like DNA.

Heidi said...

I am also in these colors, have lots of them. But how work with them?