21 August 2008

i cheated

Okay, so I know I'm not supposed to start any new projects during the U.F.O. Olympics but if you could touch this batt and really see how great the colors are (my camera did a poor job showing just how rich they are), you'd understand why I couldn't leave it alone.


This is Spice Market batt from Daniela of FeltStudioUK. She is my new favorite dealer for spinning fiber. What's even more impressive is that even though she lives all the way over in the UK, I get my orders from her in the same amount of time (sometimes quicker) then things I buy from people in the states.

Drool, drool, drool.

Here's a closer look of just the spindle.

The spinning is improving but after having spun the yucky blue stuff that I didn't like and now this, I'm seeing that the quality of the batt makes a huge difference too. This stuff just kind of comes out smooth all on its own.

I decided to spin it because I'm kind of going stir crazy being cooped up in the house for so long. Which sometimes leads to crankiness and just general malice. Knitting and (now) spinning are soothing to me. I'm not good with this part of injury/recovery. I get to a point where I start crawling the walls and start to wonder just how much trouble I can get myself into poking around on the internet.

I really like the colors on this yarn. I plan to make a scarf out of it when its done. Mom is still not impressed in any way with the spinning. I think she's just jealous. She did shock me last night when she asked me to teach her to knit. Her goal is to learn how to knit socks for herself. Although she looked a bit queasy when she looked at the pair I have in progress that are sitting on the coffee table.

She asked if she has to use all those "sticks" or can she use less. (I knit socks on four double points with a fifth one for the actual knitting.) I think she is a good candidate for knitting socks on a circular needle. Of course, first she has to learn how to actually knit. I have some chunky white yarn that I'm going to show her how to make a very lovely stunning garter stitch scarf. Hopefully she takes to it.

Although there could be a battle if she starts picking at my yarn stash.

No comments: