26 January 2008

Something is rotten in Denmark...

At least I think there is...

I decided I was thinking clearly enough to do the heel flap on one of the socks tonight. I know some sock knitters work hard at avoiding the heel flap and do short rows to make them look more like socks you can buy in the store. To be honest, I kind of like the heel flap. Its kind of like a great big neon sign that screams "This is hand knit!"

So, armed with Godfather I & II on the telly (don't speak to me of Godfather III, I will not acknowledge its existence), I opened the book I bought at the first class and took a look at what I was supposed to do next.

Then I looked up what the pattern told me to do on the web. *sigh* I'm so new...

I have to admit the first few rows produced a disturbing combination of swearing and whining. Dooley was frightened. Then I seemed to get the hang of it and was happy and then I finished and I noticed something odd....

The side that is supposed to face out is facing...in...



I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with this (and not in a good way). I cannot for the life of me figure out what in the **bleep** I did. I can pretty easily resolve it by simply turning the sock inside out but that might make it hard to finish it. I might have to work the whole thing inside out and then flip it once I'm done. **bleep**bleeeeppppp**bleep**

Seeing as how I've never knit a sock before, maybe I'm not doing anything wrong. Are you supposed to knit them inside out and then turn them when you are done? No? I didn't think so...

I feel like whining. I feel like ripping it back down and trying again. Would that be insane? I don't want to knit an inside out sock. **bleep**

I have the second cuff almost to six inches so I may just finish that and then try the heel flap on that one and see if my backwards brain decides to not create an inside out sock.

Oh, and someone asked me what Fibra Artysta means. Its Polish for Fiber Artist. I'm a Polish girl and a fiber artist so it made sense when I picked it. Okay, I'm going to give the sock dirty looks because swearing at it this time didn't seem to help...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also like knitting my socks with heal flaps. (My sock drawer is so full the socks pop out when I open the it.) If I were knitting the socks I'd leave it as it is and knit the second one the same way. I know some folks who purposly knit the flap w/the purl side out. Anyway, it's only advice, you knit those socks any way you want.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into the Sewing Expo quilt show,I enjoy seeing my creation on line - it's a first for me!

Susan F.