01 November 2011

is it ever finished?



I do my very best to make sure that my weekends involve a good chunk of studio time. I dabble during the week in between the daily grind but for some good serious quality time? Gotta wait for those two precious days at the end of the week.

I love being in there. Especially this time of year when this is my view:



 I can't say that I had a particularly productive run this past weekend. It happens, sometimes things don't gel. After I realized I was pretty much spinning my wheels, I decided to just putter and not really focus on any one thing.

This little fellow caught my attention:


 If you're a Cloth Paper Scissors addict (and why wouldn't you be? Its a seriously cool magazine), you'll remember that this is from the article I did for them on Deconstructed Assemblage.

I like it. I think its a respectable assemblage, borderline shrine-ish. I started to wonder if its really finished. I recently scored some new boxes and I was kind of wondering what in the world I was going to do with the larger ones (but I can't pass up a grungy wood box, its a weakness) and now I think I might know.

Take a gander at this:



Its just set inside a larger box which doesn't seem like much right now. But think about all the possibilities of that new box - painting and altering and embellishing and nailing and hanging things and and and....makes me tired and excited all at the same time.

I think I'm going to save this as my little side project for when I just want to goof around with something.

I find myself looking at a big chunk of my work and thinking about how I can take it further or cut it up and rework it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, makes me feel like a cannibal. But it is what it is.

Do you find that you do that?

It seems especially rampant when I look at my assemblages. I love them all but I think there were too many restrictions on them when I made them (needing to ship them or needing to hang them on the wall) and I never really felt like they were done. I want them bigger, more complicated, more layers.

So I'm going to start doing that and see where they go. Go over the top and see if I ever feel like I'm crossing the finish line with them. :)



1 comment:

Kathy said...

Got for it, go for it!!!! I'm a big proponent of going over the top! And congrats on another magazine article...you're everywhere and that's a good thing! Keep up the good work.