06 November 2008

ramblings of a NaNoWriMo participant

I need to write a total of fourteen pages today in order to keep up with my goal for NaNoWriMo. So far I've written about half a page. (Do you think it would be cheating if I increased the size of the font to 20 point? Yeah...I thought so...*sigh*)

Instead I've spent the day puttering at anything but. Which really is stupid because I've got a piece of paper sitting next to me covered in scribbles of where I want the story to head next. Its just been tying myself down to the computer that's been the problem. I blame the internet, its too easy for me to become distracted. (Hence the blogging.) But I also blame Mary. And here's why...

Ever since I hurt my back, I've taken to yarn shopping online. Its not nearly as fun because nothing beats being able to wander around a store a few (or a hundred) times and petting all the fibery goodness it has to offer. So every once in a while, when I'm on that fine line of going loopy from extreme boredom, Mary will swoop in like an angel from heaven (or hades depending on how you look at it (love ya Mary)) and drive me over to a yarn shop. (I've turned her into a total yarn whore as well. Its nice to have company.)

As usual, she didn't disappoint and I came home with new friends:


Gorgeous lace weight that will shortly be made into this. (The scarf, not the man.) I'm all about over sized scarves so I'm eager to get this one on the needles.



The other is a massive glorious lump of Fleece Artist yarn. I drooled heavily all over this display. I don't know what I will do with this yet but it is mine and I will admire it intently until it becomes something other then a massive glorious lump of yarn.

Something did happen on the drive home that struck me dumb. (Shoosh all of you out there that are taking that comment and running with it.)

We saw not one, but two, gas stations with unleaded regular for $1.97 a gallon. Has anyone checked to see if the sky is still where its supposed to be? I never thought I'd see the day again when it fell below $2.50 much less under $2. Hot diggity dog, bring me my gas can...

Now I'm home and its just me and Mr. Laptop. And that page count nagging at me....

I just checked, this blog post has over 400 words...do you think anyone would notice if I slipped it into the story?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am so touched you called me a whore...*sniff*...you make me feel so special....
and i totally LOVE the green yarn who knew the hospital would have such an AWESOME yarn shop!

Leann said...

We all know Mary is evil. If you do make the cute guy instead of the scarf, could you make him so he doesn't wear lace scarves?

Anonymous said...

Please note- Fleece Artist = Nova Scotia. Yes, she is from my homeland and no, I don't know her personally but I am going to make it a point to meet her. You could too if you and Mary come to the retreat next October! I am a yarn whore too...and we have a wonderful shop in Mahone Bay I can take you to.....

teri

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a car chase? I always threaten to throw one into the user manuals I write for work when I'm stuck.