03 April 2010

chocolate and wool


Does it get any better then that?

I was commenting to mom yesterday that its unfortunate that easter baskets disappear as you get older. But instead of ten pounds of sugar, wouldn't it be great if it contained items from your favorite hobby? Like wool...

I decided that even though I'm not a kid anymore, I sort of missed marking the beginning of spring with a special treat. So off I went to my local yarn store, Michigan Custom Boutique and Fine Yarns, and indulged in some just-for-the-heck-of-it browsing. I didn't come away empty handed (big shocker):


I was happy to find this book, 200 Stitch Patterns for Baby Blankets. I think the title is misleading. Yeah, a lot of things can be used for baby blankets but you could use them for a lot of other things as well. I'm trying my hand at putting together my own stitch combinations to make some simple scarves and this book has a lot of patterns in it that I'm really attracted to. They lean toward the lacey side of things and has both knit and crochet in it. Always a bonus for me.

The lovely lady working the store today introduced me to Poems yarn. It took all of twenty seconds to decided to pick up a skein of it, really beautiful stuff.

While I was walking back from the yarn store I passed a chocolate shop and decided to pick up one of the bunnies hanging out in the window. He gained an admirer while I was taking his picture:


Don't worry, little man has never gotten his paws on chocolate (although he sings sweetly to it, forever hopeful). He gave me a pouty face when I snatched it away but I gave him one of his cookies and all was easily forgiven.

I've always thought that this time of year should be the beginning of the new year rather then January. So many holidays at one time, budding trees, blooming flowers - everything just feels new.

However you are marking this time of year, I wish you a happy one!

1 comment:

Yarnhog said...

Happy Easter!

I just had a cold shock when I realized, reading your post, that I have done exactly NOTHING about Easter for my kids! Fortunately, tonight is date night and they're going to my mom's, so we'll be stopping by the store to make up some Easter baskets after dinner. Thanks for the reminder!