08 November 2009

2010 Fabrications Retreat


Every autumn I sit down and make plans for the major art things I want to accomplish over the next year. These could be as simple as making a commitment to finally follow through on the desire to make enough work for a solo show or to keep my studio clean (*ahem* we have yet to put that one in writing, something about failing before even beginning keeps me from doing that.)

Two of the major components of my list are shows that I want to curate and retreats/trips I want to take.

I can say that since I discovered Fabrications in 2006, it has become a main staple on my list. I am very very picky about taking classes, often looking for a relaxed environment that allows me to produce my own work while still learning something. I've found it every year at this retreat and have listened to other student's accounts of more structured classes that suited their personal styles. There is a real effort to have something for everyone.

The chance to spend several days doing nothing but making art is the ideal respite to a year of hard work and the stress of everyday life.

I'll be attending in 2010 again, have my sights set on Rayna Gillman's class. I found it hard to choose this year, especially since there are 2-day, 3-day and 5-day classes so not only does the retreat span a variety of interests but it accommodates schedules and budgets as well.

I'm also very excited to be curating Blurred Boundaries again this year. The 2010 show will focus on artwork that revolves around surface design and I'm currently working out the details. I'm confident it will be another exciting show.

Go on over to the website, take a moment to download the pdf of the classes and I bet you'll find something there that suits you.

Hope to see you there!

No comments: