02 December 2007

Absolute 100% PROOF

I can't tell you how often I avoid watching the news. It seems that the lead stories always revolve around murder, hatred and the human race's exceptional skills at just being destructive to the world. Its enough to make a person want to hole up in their house and not leave.

But I've learned that there are still so many people out there who want to do good, you just don't hear about them that often. So I decided, dear readers, that today I would talk to you about them.

And before I begin to explain who they are and what they do, I want you to understand why I keep talking about this project, why I keep pushing for its success.

I know I’ve talked about Fiberart for a Cause a lot. Its really important to me. My father struggled with and lost his battle with cancer a little over a year ago and now with the holidays here, my mind turns to thoughts of him even more then usual. Enough time has passed that now I can remember some of the good things and its beginning to blot out the bad. I’ll never completely forget how difficult it was, but it wouldn’t be dotted with small patches of light if it weren’t for the people that stood beside me and held my hand - and his - through the whole thing. Its important to say that often they were strangers, people who worked at the hospital or ran patient/family support programs. And all the research that went into the treatments he received were what gave us more time with him.

And I attribute that to all the selfless people who stood up and said, “I’m going to fight this, I’m going to make a difference.” People like Virginia Spiegel and projects like Fiberart for a Cause.

Virginia continues to raise funds through her Art, Nature, Creativity, Life e-book. (By the way, you guys completely rock because the total donations through the e-book are over $3500!) But what strikes me the most is how many people keep stepping up to Virginia’s side to help keep FFAC rolling.

And this, my friends, is absolute 100% proof that the world still keeps churning out good people all of the time.

The latest efforts to raise funds are aided by Iris Karp of Mistyfuse, Karen Stiehl Osborn and Jeanelle McCall.

If, like me, you find Mistyfuse just the coolest stuff on the planet, you will be thrilled to know that you can get your fix AND help support FFAC. 20% of all Mistyfuse purchases between Dec 1 and Dec 31 will be donated to FFAC. Go now, order lots, make art.

The other new FFAC project is Fiberart for a Cause Shop. I rank Virginia, Karen and Jeanelle high on my list of drool-worthy artwork. So what’s really really cool about the Shop is that you can now get a piece of their artwork on a mug, tote bag, t-shirt, mouse pad, and even notecards. There is a $5 profit from each purchase and all of it is going to the American Cancer Society. It may not sound like a lot but keep in mind what every donation can do as well as the fact that once again, nothing is being kept as compensation to the donors – its ALL going to help other people.

I’ve already picked up a mug and a tote bag (because you know that I just have too much stuff and believe me, this is an awesome tote bag because it holds a ton!). There will also be some Christmas gifts coming from the shop.

And if FFAC isn't enough to inspire you, try this one on for size: imagine you're 13 years old and you just found out your friend has cancer. What do you do? Make a card? Bring her flowers? Or how about forming a team for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life and raising $25,000? That's just what Susan Schrott's daughter, Rose, did. And now Susan is aiding her daughter by offering up some really gorgeous Tree of Life Quilts. (There are only 6 left so go get one while you still can!) Again, here is proof that there are no bounds to just how good people are.

If we keep chipping away at this disease, we could see the end of it in the future. I don't know about you, but that's something I'm willing to fight for for the rest of my life. Virginia and Susan have made it easy for us to do so with Fiberart for a Cause and the Tree of Life quilts.

So please, if you can, go stand with them. I'll meet you there.

No comments: