04 December 2008

ironic

When I got to work today, my boss called me into his office and gave me this:


There was no pleasure it in it this time. We just kind of looked at each other and I finally said what we were both thinking, "Hope this isn't the last one."

To be honest, I have written and deleted several posts about what is going on with congress and the auto industry. I've written and deleted several posts that have nothing to do with it in an effort to keep the blog perky and upbeat.

But the truth of it all is that I'm worn through with worrying about it. You can taste the anxiety in the air in my office, its uncharacteristically quiet as everyone has their heads down hoping to will into existence the things that we all are hoping for.

I am not going to lie: I am supremely furious at all the people strutting around saying we should just go bankrupt. They are ignorant to think that the bankruptcy of any of the Big 3 will not effect them. If they get what they are hoping for, they will find out all too soon that they were dead wrong.

These companies are not statistics or numbers on wall street or some report that the auto analysts can frown at and shake their heads. These companies are PEOPLE. Fathers, sons, brother, mothers, daughters, aunts and uncles. We deserve better.

So the blog is going to be quiet for a while. I've got nothing nice to say right now and I really can't bring myself to pretend like there is nothing wrong.

9 comments:

Kat Campau said...

I got the same from my sister, who works in a title company. In fact, the family chat list is mostly in favor of bankruptcy. Of course, most of them live out of state, where people are ignorant of the benefit they get from the auto companies, while me and my kids and grandkids are all dependent on Ford. It's like Marie Antoinette, they're clueless.

Judy said...

Lynn,
My sympathies to you. As the spouse of one whose company went bankrupt and received no bailout, I know all too well the uncaring attitude of so many around us. If it's not happening directly to them, others simply can't feel the utter helplessness, anxiety, and plain fear that you are experiencing. I hope and pray that there will be a solution to this problem SOON......for your sake and for the sake of all of us.

Warm Hugs

Anonymous said...

My current method of coping is to cover my ears and yell “la la la la la la” loudly when anyone talks to me about the hearings. Until I can find some sand to stick my head in, it will have to do. However, despite the boneheads in Washington, 10 years is a terrific accomplishment. Be proud of your work. I know you, so I know it’s 10 years of really good work. Congrats! OK - time for me to go sit under my desk again...

Yarnhog said...

My husband was in aerospace during the aerospace layoff massacres of the 1990's, and then he was at Hewlett-Packard during the high-tech layoff massacres of the 2000's. It's a terrible, stressful thing. I hope that you will pull through with a minimum of anxiety and uncertainty.

TJM wanna be quilt artist said...

I am from MI but living in VA I still own my house in Clinton Township,MI. I agree with you about how people just do not seem to understand the ramifications...the comments down here is the DC area have been stupid. I just keep praying for us all...I have one son that works on Wall Street, one in MI with automotive suppliers. I relate.

Diana said...

Lynn, congratulations on your 10 years of hard work and dedication. You have earned this award and I am happy for you. What you have accomplished to receive such a wonderful recognition cannot be taken away and you owe yourself a great big hug. Will you get another? I don't know. This one is absolutely GREAT! Diana

Pattie Wall said...

All this and a certificate. It IS ironic. I hope you can see the "twinkle" - in that you got that recognition. At least they care enough about you to give you one. Every corner I turn, someone I know is in the thick of it. I am hoping that whatever happens, you can find your way through it and come out on the other side - able to move forward without trepidation. Thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

Lynn, I am with you. It seems that most people do not get it. The resulting spinnoff effect of bankrupcy or worse is almost unimaginable. Breathe deeply and slowly and do your best to manage your stress and stay healthy. It's all your can do when things are beyond your control. I will continue to beleive that Washington will do the right thing.

Anonymous said...

I empathize with your feelings. I've watched the stores I've done business with for 15 years close 1-by-1. I've been frightened for the last 3 years as to what my future now holds. I too have been hiding: from my blog, the internet, and especially the news. :/