06 April 2007

Something New...


This probably doesn't look horribly exciting. But it is...and let me tell you why...

The past two years have been very difficult, lots of stress, lots of family things going on. I've managed to keep creating throughout it but I can't say that I've been super thrilled with the results. In fact, I've been letting that little voice in my head (you know the one that tells you how much you stink at art) run rampant lately. I managed to squash it today.

I've got lots of deadlines looming on challenges and projects. I decided to try to get one out of the way today. And I took a different approach to doing it:

1) I went back to working with a general idea and just going with the flow.

2) I pieced the background. (Yes, I've never done that before. Quit looking at me weird.)

3) I used nothing but the sewing machine to do #2. (If you know me, you know this is my shameful little secret. Me and the sewing machine don't always get along well. But we are working on getting to know each other better and I'm not sure who its more painful for - me or the machine...)

4) I used a rotary cutter. (Again, something I don't usually do.)

5) I made this one two friends. I'm finally making good on my intention to work in a series of at least three quilts when I start a topic.

Now, don't get too carried away. Does this mean I measured anything? Nope.

Does this mean the sides are straight? Never.

Does this mean I'll finish the edges with binding? Most likely not.

And of course these were created with a 3-dimensional embelllishment as the inspiration point so they won't be flat for long.

It seems like the creativity is slowly creeping back in. It might seem small but its a relief to know its still there and brewing. I'm hoping it keeps going!

2 comments:

Julaine said...

Lynn - good to see your new piece! Keep going, and let those creative juices flow (oh my god, did that sound trite?).

Hope to see you at Rosemont!

Roxie the Doxie said...

Love the colors! And I usually love purples... ha ha

Has a peaceful look to it, like the woods in Fall.......