28 April 2007

Another thank you....



Its spring cleaning time and the studio is no exception. It helps that the fiber art group I am in, Running with Scissors, is having our second annual art supply garage sale. Its funny because I've been going through everything in my studio and showing no mercy.

And as I go through everything, I realize more and more just how hard the past few years have been. For those of you who don't know, my dad passed of cancer late last year. He was sick for two and a half years and it was the hardest thing I've been through - ever.

Healing is coming along, but its slow and when I sift through things like my studio, I remember how little time there was to do things. I tossed stuff in boxes and didn't think twice about it. In the midst of the chaos at home, I closed my fiber art store, Lost Arts Stitchery. Many of the things that came home from the store closing were never dealt with and I feel like I'm drowning in STUFF.

I also found the nice pottery bowl I purchased from the Plymouth Potter's Guild last year for my Fiberart for a Cause postcard collection. I was a little startled at just how many postcards I had obtained through the course of the project. But when I looked at all of them in the bowl, I was touched again at what the project had accomplished.

My dad's cancer wasn't beatable, we knew that pretty much from the very beginning. But the truth of it is that he lived much longer then people in the past with his type of cancer and he had a much better quality of life. So when I look at that bowl full of postcards, I feel like everyone involved in the project helped to give even more hope to a family in the same situation.

Its a comfort to walk into my studio and see it and to know what Fiberart for a Cause was able to accomplish. On the very top of the collection is a postcard
Virgina Spiegel, the organizer of Fiberart for a Cause, mailed to me when things were particularly bad. It was such a bright spot in my day when I received it and I don't think I will ever be able to thank her enough for all the sacrifices she made during the course of the project. She is truly an angel.

1 comment:

Julaine said...

Wow - what a wonderful collection! Losing parents - it's so hard, I know. Take care.

I wished I'd had more time to visit with you at Rosemont...