05 May 2010

Call for entries: Blurred Boundaries Mixed Media Exhibit



I love curating exhibits.

There is nothing more exciting then getting to work with artists and hanging their work so others can enjoy it. I meet so many people this way and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

If I had it my way, I would spend 100% of my time curating exhibits and putting things together (I would love to be a juror on an exhibit too, perhaps sometime in the future) but as it is, I have to pick and choose what I have time to do.

One exhibit that is on the books for this year is Blurred Boundaries. It runs alongside the Fabrications Retreat for a week. Its open to both the public and retreat attendees and was very well received last year.

This year seeks work that features surface design. Which is a pretty broad topic. It includes things like dyeing, stamping, screen printing, discharging, painting and about a million other things that I couldn't possibly list all of them here.

We are very lucky to have Jeanne Williamson as the juror this year. She is an outstanding artist that pushes the boundaries of fiber art all the time. Please take a moment to check out her website.

The prospectus and entry form for this year's exhibit can be found on the front page of the Fabrications Retreat website. The entry deadline is July 12, 2010 so there is still plenty of time to submit work.

This year we are offering cash prizes for first, second and third prizes (winners chosen by Jeanne). There is also the opportunity to sell your work. Several pieces sold from last year's exhibit.

One thing I hear often from artists who are just beginning to show is that they are scared of the juried exhibits. I'm here to say that there is absolutely no need to be scared off by it. There is no panel of people sitting in a dark room dissecting your work and berating you. There is no magical formula that is a secret that you must know to get your work accepted into the show.

Exhibiting your work is thrilling. There is a never a guarantee that your work will be accepted but the most important thing to remember is this: you definitely wont' show if you never try. (Sort of like my plan to win the lotto with the power of my mind. Buying tickets would probably work out much better.)

So give it a shot. Its a wonderful exhibit. Hope to see you there.

1 comment:

Deb H said...

July, huh? Hummmmm...