25 February 2010

i'm going to have nightmares...

I'm into vintage feeling stuff. I like traditional crochet afghans and some of the traditional quilt patterns like grandmother's flower garden. But this?

This frightens me on a whole new level...

There's chatter on Ravelry about a crocheted potholder swap. I'm thinking about joining. Do I need potholders? Hell no. But it looks like fun and from the photos that people are posting, they are pretty darn cool. Plus it would be something different so off I went looking for inspirational patterns that I could work with. I did not expect to find this horror:


Yes, my friends. That is a potholder with a plastic baby doll face attached in the center.

Aside from my issues of always whining that the creepy dolls give me nightmares while they stare vacantly at me (I suspect they are plotting different ways to suck out my soul when I'm not paying attention), does this strike anyone as incredibly sadistic?

I'm sure (I hope) these are meant to be decorative only but suppose someone decides they need to be functional? That means they are willingly melting the doll face under excruciating heat and torture. (Which I'm not entirely opposed to, they are creepy as all get out and we have to get our revenge somehow.)

I am going to take a break from looking at the potholder patterns for a bit. Who knows what other horrors may be lurking there...

8 comments:

bj parady said...

at art fairs I occasionally get asked if my small fiber pieces are potholders...or placemats. Sigh.

FunkyC said...

My eyes are wide with fright and I have been rendered slack-jawed.

Make it go away.

Leann said...

That's a great potholder, it will be even better when she gets a burnt nose!

wlstarn said...

seems like it would be difficult to actually use. And it's too ugly to display. dog toy, maybe? Nah, it would scare him, too.

mary said...

looks like i have next year's holiday gifts all picked out now!
bwhahahaha

Gisela Towner said...

I agree. Totally creepy!

Yarnhog said...

That is creepy as all get-out. Did you ever see "Toy Story"? [You're probably young enough to have enjoyed it as a kid, huh? One of my kids watched it every. single. day. for over a year. Shall I recite the whole movie for you?] That freaky doll potholder reminds me of the weird, mutant toys in Sid's bedroom. Definitely nightmare-inducing.

Stephanie said...

What scares me is that it doesn't creep me out. But then...that might have to do with the more than a thousand dolls that stared at me through out my childhood. You learn to coop when you are given no other choice.