12 February 2009

in awe

I know that it makes me somewhat of a geek that I list Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride amongst my top favorite movies. So its not all that shocking that I am bouncing in my seat all excited about going to see Coraline this saturday.

I am a huge fan of stop motion animation films because every single thing is constructed.

By hand.

One at a time.

No matter how long it takes.

HBO has been running a behind-the-scenes look at the movie and the people who shot the film talk about how in a good day they manage to shoot two to four seconds.

That's a big switch from the crazy standards we set for ourselves to get thousands of things done in a single eight hour day.

The behind-the-scenes special also talks about the ways in which the set creators take everyday items and use them in unexpected ways. Like popcorn kernels painted pink to make cherry blossoms and dog squeaky toys cut in half so they can be used for the centers of blooming flowers.

You can see part of the special here:




And of course there is the knitting, which I find fascinating in an outstanding way. Watch this video, its nice to know there is still productions being made where every detail is painstakingly made by hand.


2 comments:

Kat Campau said...

Lynn, I can see you doing this! I can see you in a psych hospital after doing this. Oh, wait, that looks like me in there.

Yarnhog said...

My kid told me "Coraline" was the scariest book he's ever read. This really surprised me, since the kid (he's eleven) reads at a post-grad level and has read thousands of books, many of them terrifying ("An Inconvenient Truth" comes to mind). He checked it out of the school library for me, and last night I read half of it. It's a weird book; it's kind of like a Grimm fairy tale and really plays on the dark side of a child's psyche. I realized this morning that it also plays on the dark side of an adult's psyche--I had Coraline-inspired nightmares all night! I can't wait to see the movie. :)