24 September 2007

Page 46!


Its here! Its here! The article I wrote, "Embellishments As Inspiration", is out in the new Quilting Arts magazine (October/November 2007). Its on pages 46-49 and describes how I use embellishments to design an art quilt.

Its such a thrill to see it in person!!! I'm in really good company with all the other extremely talented artists in this issue. There are lots of really cool articles featuring various forms of embellishments. Among them are Susan Else's article about her three-dimensional quilted figures and Angie Hughes Book Wraps. And I really enjoyed the second installment of Sarah Ann Smith's article about different forms of edges for quilts. There's lots more to see too, its a really interesting issue!! Many thanks to Pokey for this opportunity!

At the end of my article, it mentions a challenge that I issued to five of my art quilt friends to make a small art quilt based on a packet of materials. They were all given the same items: a porcupine quill, a clay face, a string of bells, a playing card, and a key. The could alter these items if they wanted and add other things if they desired.

Below is Leann's quilt, Fortune.

Deb Kolar, Jill Hamilton-Krawczyk, Joan Potter Thomas and Mary Dyer also made pieces. Click here to view them on Quilting Arts' website.

I hope you enjoy the article as much as I enjoyed writing it! :)

2 comments:

Cathie said...

Hi Lynn!
I recognized your name Immediately in Quilting Arts. I think your efforts on behalf of the quilt show are wonderful -- and I can't wait to see more details of the indidividual quilts. I had joined the blog with the intention of participating, however my son was in a motorcycle accident and really changed life for quite a while (he's on the mend now)
Anyway - wonderful work and thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lynn, looks like you did a great job on the display. The quilts are just fantastic. Hope I can display next year!!! Oh, yes, great article on you in QA. Congrat.s!!!