11 May 2007

stitched textile art??

So here's a question for you...does it make a difference if something is called an art quilt or stitched textile art?

Its been on my mind lately. I think I've identified one of the things that doesn't seem to add up about my art lately.

My work is stitched, yes. It has two to three layers of fabric held together by stitching, yes. It meets the basic definition of a quilt, yes. But that's about where it ends...

I use staples and saftey pins and nails and sticks and polymer clay pieces and just about anything else when I'm creating. The fabric serves as a canvas, as a place to put everything else. Its more a means of necessity then it seems the focal point. I really struggle to do just fabric and thread. It seems to nag at me that its not finished.

Now before I start getting yelled at that there is nothing wrong with art quilts, let me say this: I agree. Art quilts rock. I'm in awe of a lot of them, I love so many of them. My problem lately is that I'm not sure that's what I'm doing anymore.

It seems like such a small thing to change the name of what you do but at the same time, almost a relief. Its like no longer trying to fit that square peg in the round hole and hoping no one notices that you've been smashing it with a hammer to make it work.

I don't know if I'm just babbling or if I'm actually on to something here. Stitched textile art. Has a nice ring to it, huh?

No comments: