26 November 2011

doing the prep work

I woke early this morning, a habit ground into me from the day job. But if I'm being honest, I love the light at that time of day. Its strange, almost like a dusk that peels back slowly and steadily. It seems like it has secrets.

I've been working on building the list of things that I want to accomplish over the next month and a half and its growing to proportions that need some beating back. The only way to tackle it is to do as much prep work as I can in the little spaces of the day. Those times when it doesn't seem like five minutes would be enough time to accomplish anything are the key to meeting deadlines like these.

On my list was washing and tearing this fabric into fat quarters:


These are destined for something quite special, something I have been holding in my mind for the past year. Hopefully it looks as good in reality as it does in my imagination.

I think beginnings are the best part of creating art, the depth of possibility inspires nothing but confidence and curiosity. There's no end to what you can do with it.

Now that the fabric is waiting to be ironed and made into its finished product, I can tick that off the prep list and move on to the next thing. Even though the to-do list seems endless some days, I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

I agree, the beginning of a project is exciting - the possibilities of creating what you envision. I loved your article in Sew Somerset. I am hoping to make some collages inspired by you soon.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the idea of doing little bits and pieces of the work ahead of time makes the whole process seem less over-whelming. Especially this time of year when there are so many other responsibilities on our plates. I like that idea.