31 January 2010

bunk cake

I'm a big fan of bundt cakes. I know they aren't the most fashionable or "modern" but I think they have a huge amount going for them in the charm area.

For one thing, I don't have to go to a lot of effort to get a cool shaped cake. Plus there are a lot of fancy pans out there now that will put tons of detail into it for me. Even so, my personal favorite is just your standard old bundt pan.

We celebrated my brother and mom's birthday today and it gave me a good excuse to bake. I haven't done much (outside of scones and banana bread) since the cookie marathon so I decided to do a bundt cake.

Every time I make one of these, I think of this scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding (which is where the title of the post came from):





I found this recipe on my favorite recipe site, All Recipes, and figured with almost 1900 reviews and a 5 star rating, it would do the trick:


I also like that bundt cakes don't use a lot of icing. I don't really care for cakes that have three inches of icing on them. So I used this glaze recipe to add to the chocolate (because clearly there wasn't enough chocolate taste with the cake alone):





The ratings were spot on, this is an awesome cake. There isn't much of it left. My brother squirreled away several pieces to take home (which I consider a compliment).

So I'd say the old bunk cake did good.

No comments: