18 February 2008

Big foot has been sighted...

...and apparently I am knitting socks for him.

I worked on finishing up the gussets on the socks this weekend. I refuse to discuss just how many potential mistakes there are in the first sock. There were times when I couldn't recall if I was on a decrease row and I dropped a stitch and borrowed one from the row below it. (My only criteria being that in doing so would not produce a hole in the sock and it didn't so I consider it not an error but a creative fix.)

The second sock went much smoother. So I put them down, got on with my weekend and when I came home from work today, I noticed something strange...

...these socks appear to be for someone who has feet that are at least nine feet wide.

I know the cuff ribbing is stretchy. I understand this. And I'm aware from having seen other completed socks with this type of cuff that once the foot is worked, the cuff looks like a shrunken head on a really big body.

But sheesh...I'm tired...I've got PMS...and these things are really making me feel bad about myself. Big feet. No, let me restate that...BIG feet.

Add to that the fact that the leaves from my botany quilt hate my guts. I've tried beading them, stitching them, stapling them, and doing odd weaving patterns with brads and thread. Nothing looks good. It all sucks. I think I might just set them on fire and gleefuly dance around them as they go up in smoke.

I think I'm just going to give everything the evil eye tonight. Give me trouble, will you? Well, right back at ya, babe.

Oh, and there's been another sighting. The abominable snow westie attempted to thwart my sock knitting activity by throwing himself on the yarn ball...



...perhaps I should have let him abscond with it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dont worry about the big foot socks! Wool shrinks, even if you try not to shrink it. If you are not careful, socks big enough for Bigfoot can transform themselves so that only Barbie could get them on. Wool socks MUST begin as Bigfoot socks!

Lynne in MI said...

I dunno, I don't think they look that bad & after all, I am what.....Your Sock Teacher! Email me if you need a class this weekend, as the other students decided to make felted purses instead of socks. (that would be because they are chickens) Lynne

Jennifer said...

There is no such thing as a mistake - they are called opportunities for embellishment!