16 November 2007

100 things...

Okay, yesterday's post generated some suggestions on what to write about in the abscence of art. One that I found interesting was: "Make a list of 100 things about yourself." I found this intriguing not because I think I'm fascinating but because I wasn't sure I could come up with 100 things about myself. It took me thinking about it off and on during throughout the day but I did do it.

So I apologize if the prospect of reading 100 factoids about me makes your eyes glaze over but I was pretty impressed that I could come up with that many things. So I figured I'll go ahead and post them since I got 'em.

Here goes:

1. Despite my genetics, I'm allergic to all things pink and girly.

2. My favorite color is orange/red.

3. I love skulls. But only the happy ones. The angry-biker-flames-and-snakes-oozing-out-of-the-eye-sockets creep me out.

4. I'm not a vegetarian but I have serious issues with sucking meat off of bones. I prefer to not see the carnage.

5. I'm an animal lover, all types but especially dogs. Puppies make me gush.

6. Cats make me sneeze if I hang out with them for too long.

7. I am a good cook.

8. I don't like to cook.

9. My favorite type of books/movies are murder mystery/psychological thrillers.

10. I'm terrified of ghosts.

11. Bugs and I manage only to coexist if they choose not to crawl on me. If they do land on me, I will promptly squeal like a little girl and gag as I crush their little bug bodies.

12. I love learning new things.

13. I am a math geek.

14. I design transmissions for a living.

15. I have little patience for people who lack common sense.

16. I hate hot weather. I am white as a fish, have freckles and red hair. I pretty much catch on fire in the sun.

17. My middle name is Marie.

18. I always wanted to be a writer.

19. I haven't worn a dress in ten years. I wore one everyday for twelve years as part of a school uniform and I still have two more years of not wearing them before I am even.

20. I went to twelve years of Catholic school.

21. I am not religious but am spiritual.

22. I would love to visit the catacombs in Paris.

23. I wish I was taller.

24. I have a bad back and it hurts all of the time.

25. I can't effectively use a sewing machine to save my life. I can sew straight lines and some curves but free motion quilting is the kiss of death. Forget about it , move on...

26. I didn't even thread a needle until I was 24.

27. I started doing fiber arts while recovering from backs surgery.

28. Up until #27, I was an obsessed workaholic.

29. I have one older brother.

30. My brother is also an artist. He is a graphic designer and photographer.

31. My dream job would be to work at a zoo and play with animals all day.

32. I prefer the nightime. I don't mind being in the dark, I actually find it soothing.

33. I'm fundamentally very shy.

34. I was a Resident Advisor in an all-girls freshman dorm when I was in university. It sucked.

35. I always read magazines backwards.

36. My favorite type of fiction is historical fiction.

37. I love chubby babies.

38. My biggest weakness is ice cream.

39. I hate fish.

40. I am allergic to the mall and don't go there unless I am under an excrutiating deadline that prevents me from buying said item in a local shop or online. (And I try to buy as much as I can from the local shops. See #41.)

41. I owned a fiber arts store for three years.

42. I am grateful for all the friends I made while the store was open. Without it, I'm not sure I would have found out who I really am.

43. I believe in "Everything happens for a reason."

44. I can't dance. Its not attractive. Don't ask. I won't do it.

45. I can sing pretty good. Especially when the volume on the radio is turned way up and no one else is around to hear.

46. I prefer chaos in my artwork as opposed to order. I feel its more representative of life.

47. I will NOT eat: olives, mushrooms, duck, oysters or alligator. (I tried the last one. Take my word for it, it was disgusting.)

48. I WILL eat: hummus, yogurt, bananas, chicken and pizza.

49. I wish I could convince people that you do not need to eat every part of an animal. Please people, leave the tongue, feet and stomach out of the eating equation.

50. I hate to clean but it drive me nuts when everything is messy. I am the queen of logic.

51. I stand up for what I believe in.

52. I can talk to pretty much anyone. I like meeting new people but see #33, sometimes it can be a problem.

53. I make decisions very quickly. I don't dwell.

54. I've been in love three times in my life.

55. I have a sarcastic sense of humor.

56. I love office supply stores. Post-it-notes and sharpies are the equivalent of crack to me.

57. One of my favorite movies is "Talledega Nights." HEY DRIVER!!!

58. I don't like to watch the news. See #15.

59. I love plants. They are my friends. We happily coexist, they have common sense.

60. I can not understand why people choose to paint wood furniture. They are alien to me.

61. I make a lot of lists. I don't follow them and often loose them after I write stuff down. It just makes me feel better to make them.

62. I think rust is beautiful.

63. I like to take photos of old gravestones. The carvings are amazing.

64. I swear too much. I blame it on the fact that I work with all men. I'm trying to stop.

65. I've been wearing glasses since the third grade. If I don't have them on, you all look like blurry fuzzy blobs.

66. I tried to wear contacts and discovered I have a violent dislike of having things in my eyes, including my own fingers.

67. Although I spend my life trying to package auto parts with a few millimeters of each other, I find it torture to have to make a quilt that exactly measures 20"x24".

68. I have trouble understanding measurements in inches. I am a metric girl.

69. I can NOT tell you which way is north, south, east or west. Don't ask me unless you want my face to turn purple with frustration and you want me to start twitching. I value my friends who have directional sense.

70. I choose what I do based on whether or not I think I can find my way there and back. Its a consequence of #69. Yahoo maps is a godsend.

71. I hate to travel on airplanes. Its like being smashed into a tuna can.

72. I will watch a two and a half hour horror movie and turn it off after two hours and twenty minutes. I have no desire to know how they end because it can't be good.

73. I would love to get a permanent mehndi style tattoo. And yes, they irony of this is not lost on me.

74. I usually end up overcommiting myself because I usually just think about how many hours there are in the day to get stuff done, never taking into account the need for sleep.

75. I'm the type of person that functions best on 12 hours of sleep but I usually only get about 7.

76. I am worthless without coffee. In fact, I've been told that I hand out dirty looks without cause to innocent bystanders before I've had sufficient amounts of it. (I apologize for that.)

77. I type really fast.

78. One of my favorite books of all time is "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver. I would have been the daughter that stayed.

79. I have never read any of the Harry Potter books but have seen and adored all of the movies. Reveal anything to me and I will find you and smack you down.

80. I am in love with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. Combine the two and I am a drooling machine.

81. I find it hard to show my artwork. (Again, the whole shy thing.) And prefer to enter shows in other states that I know I can't attend.

82. I collect bobbleheads. I like to tap all of them at once so there is a whole set of jiggly heads bobbing around at once.

83. I am easy to amuse.

84. I collect kokeshi dolls.

85. I collect anything that has to do with Dia de los Muertos.

86. I love graphic novels. Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean are my favorites.

87. Every time I drive by a field that has cows, I roll down the window and make mooing sounds - - even in winter.

88. I may not be a natural redhead...

89. I did yoga before I hurt my back and was a pretty limber pretzel. Now I just do the sit and meditate part.

90. I tried growing a vegetable garden once but developed homicidal urges toward the squirrels living in my area so I decided to not do that again.

91. I can't sleep unless its pitch black in the room.

92. Frida Kahlo is my all time favorite artist.

93. I am an Apple computer girl all the way. Macs rock.

94. I have a pretty decent amount of jewelry but hardly ever wear it.

95. I have a thing for scarves. I love 'em, especially wooly ones.

96. I like to organize things. Its neat. (Pun intended.)

97. Even though I tend to swear more then I should, I use swear words I pick up from the shows on the BBC channel. They don't sound as naughty.

98. I can't swim and I'm scared of large bodies of water.

99. I usually don't tell people when my birthday is. I'm content to let it be a quiet day. (Did I mention I can be shy sometimes?)

100. I never thought there were 100 things about me to write down. Go figure.


If you've read all the way down the list, you get a gold star for perseverance. Now go make you 100 things list! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've learned a few things about you I didn't know, and, um, I still like you. Maybe it's because we have the same middle name. I also learned what Kokeshi dolls are. Cool.

Anonymous said...

ok i know you posted this a long time ago but i just got around to reading it.....you know...no comp and all
whats funny is i knew almost everything on your list about you!
especially the directionally impared part...teehee